Here are some tips to reduce the likelihood of having a backing accident:
- Position the vehicle to avoid backing up.
- Do not rely solely on mirrors when backing. Conduct a visual walk-around. Note the location of surrounding people, equipment and stationary objects.
- Use a spotter as a guide, if possible.
- If your vehicle is not equipped with a backing alarm, tap your horn a few times to let others know your vehicle is beginning to move.
- Always back slowly. This allows you to stop immediately if necessary. Also, the slower the speed, the softer the impact and less damage in the event of an accident.
- Continuously check all mirrors while backing.
Risk Reminder, November 2008.
ARA members can reinforce this safety message by viewing the Straight Truck Solutions: Backing & Parking video from the Safety & Risk Management section of Rental U. All Rental U videos are available for immediate viewing 24/7 and are a free ARA member only resource. This video is also available as part of the Straight Truck Solutions video through the ARA Lending Library, another ARA member only resource. Additional videos to consider are: Backing Up and Utility Vans Part 2. Members can borrow three Lending Library items for 30 days. Click here to visit the library.
This safety tip is provided by ARA Insurance, Kansas City, Mo., to help those in the rental industry better manage their risk. For more safety and risk management information, customers of ARA Insurance can log on to ReSource. Access is free, so if you haven’t signed up yet, contact your agent or call 800-821-6580.
Click here to download a safety meeting sign-up sheet for those of you using the Safety Tip as the basis for your weekly safety meetings.